Thursday, February 25, 2010

Can I leave a primer as the main paint on my bedroom walls?

I have painted my bedroom with primer. I like it the same.


Is it ok if I leave the walls like this? Is it harmful for kids?





Thanks!Can I leave a primer as the main paint on my bedroom walls?
Primer has none of the properties that help it to repel the smudges from fingers/hands, anything rubbing against the wall (bedding, furniture) or marks from little bumps (like the laundry basket, or tossing your shoes in the corner).





All those marks and smudges add up quickly and will look bad very soon. Applying a laytex wall paint will 'seal' the surface, and help keep dust and marks from collecting so quickly. Yes, you will still have marks from children, their toys, their belongings -- but they will be fewer and easier to wipe away.Can I leave a primer as the main paint on my bedroom walls?
A primer will not hold up without a coat of paint over it. Don't be lazy. Do it right.
You should paint it with a semi-gloss latex paint like Behr paint for kitchens and bathrooms because its scrubbable - especially since you have children. We used this stuff to paint the whole downstairs of my house and I have no problem cleaning up dirty little prints my children leave on the walls and trim.





By the way, primer can be tinted to match the color of paint you choose to save a coat of paint! It was a great help in the painting of the dark green walls of our dining room, it took a coat of tinted primer and two coats of paint, instead of 3 paint and we have great coverage and its scrubbable and touch ups are a breeze!





PS%26gt;The prior owners were smokers so the walls were yellowed and we wanted to make sure we wouldn't have coverage issues.
It's not harmful but you should finish the job. Get a friend or two to help you put a coat of paint on. Good luck!
If you like the primer, no problem with leaving it. Remember though, a primer is generally a flat, white water based paint, and if you have small children, it won't take any amount of wiping or scrubbing if someone marks up the wall. Assuming that you bought the paint ';new';, there is nothing in a primer that will harm children etc.
You should paint over it.
It's probably safe, but it will start peeling. Primer is made of very cheap materials and isn't made to stand up. So when it starts to chip and peel your kids, depending on ages, will probably put it in their mouths. I don't care how non-toxic it might be, it is still not something I want my kids ingesting. So put at least one coat of regular paint over the primer.
yes you can leave it and no its not harmful (unless you eat it )

No comments:

Post a Comment