Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Could I use semi gloss white paint as a primer?

I have a gallon of behr semi gloss white paint. I am painting my walls but I need a primer. Can I use that and then paint over with regular paint from behr that I would buy?Could I use semi gloss white paint as a primer?
Nope. You can really only use it if afterward, you go over the whole wall with sandpaper. Even then, the new coat of paint may peel of very quickly. Best to buy primer and once dry, rub it with sandpaper or steel wool (lightly) before painting the top coat.Could I use semi gloss white paint as a primer?
No. Don't use a semi gloss paint or any other type of paint as a primer. Primer is like a glue. It sticks to your walls and covers up the old paint, but also give your new paint a surface to stick too. Primer also seals off any odors you might have and will allow you to use less paint to paint your walls. If you use the semi gloss paint your other paint will not stick to it. You would have to sand it down to get the glossy finish off.
No, it wouldn't work well. Primer serves two purposes: It covers up old paint and it gives the new paint something to adhere to. The new paint will not stick to the semigloss. And, after it dries, it will peel off in strips very easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment