Thursday, February 25, 2010

I need some paint help, what type of primer do I use to paint over dark paint and under white paint?

I just want to paint over dark, ugly green and purple grape stencils in my kitchen. I want a white wall over the primer, really dont know what type to use.I need some paint help, what type of primer do I use to paint over dark paint and under white paint?
If you have a really dark colour just make sure that you get a really good primer - be it latex, oil or shellac based.


Think of your primer as it will help improve the adhesion of your top coat as well as cover up your bottom coat.


A high quality latex primer will accomplish this (not one meant to prime just drywall) - you need one to prime over already painted surfaces.


Another option you have is to use BIN primer made by Zinsser - an excellent choice for this tough one where you are going from dark to light.


As for tinting primers.....There is a limited amount of colour you can put into a gallon of primer for tint (if its high quality like BIN we never recommend tinting) - ranging from 2 ounces to I've seen 4 ounces in some. So you can tint to light pastel colours but you can't tint primers to dark colours. You will lose the qualities of the primers by doing this.





Hope this has helpedI need some paint help, what type of primer do I use to paint over dark paint and under white paint?
Kilz. The solvent-based stuff works the best, but it is very strong chemically (guaranteed bad high). If you can't tolerate it use the latex version, a couple of coats. Remember that all primers can be tinted to match the color of the paint you want to repaint with.

No comments:

Post a Comment