Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Do I need to use a primer when I paint over my walls?

We had our house built about a year ago and now I am ready to tackle my white/eggshell colored walls. I am starting with my kitchen and I was wondering if I need to use primer on the walls because I will be painting them a reddish color and a tanish color.Do I need to use a primer when I paint over my walls?
no you don't people use primer because they are told they have to use it, your walls have already been painted so go right ahead and paint and save your cashDo I need to use a primer when I paint over my walls?
Get your fingers wet and ';fling'; some on the walls in question. If it absorbs the water it needs primed.
I don't for light colors but that doesn't mean I am right.
If your walls are already white you definately do not need to prime them. Primer is mainly for painting over colored walls. Some paint stores will tell you to buy the primer but I have painted my whole house and never used a primer and it came out beautiful. A nice man at the home depot told me not to waste my money. However, if your walls are dirty or chipped make sure you wash and putty them so you get a nice finish. One more thing, because you are painting your walls red you will need to apply at least two coats and maybe more depending on the paint. If you use primer before painting your wall red you will probably need at least three coats. So do yourself a favor and don't use primer!
in the kitchen, i would say use a primer.
To answer your question, NO you dont have to .


however , if you dont , you will need, two or more coats of paint, and it will cost you more in paint .


so with that in mind,


use Lowe's primer, $13 a gallon , latex, dont use the oil base


and use walmart , kilms paint , one coat , yes for $20


a gallon it covers in one go. one gallon per 14ft x14 ft
I suggest priming and then one coat of the new paint. Be sure to tint the primer the same color as the paint and you should be OK.
If they were already primed and painted, there is no need for more primer, just new paint.;
Depends.


Kitchen with grease, etc.. and any room with smokers, the walls should be primed first. Most of my rooms are washed first before I paint %26amp; then I don't use primer. But I use the same type of paint every time (just color variations differ).





Also, when switching from one type of paint to another type of paint, you will need primer. My bathroom %26amp; laundry room has enamel paint. My dining room/living room is latex.
Yes you do. Prime with a gray primer anytime painting with red.

No comments:

Post a Comment