Thursday, February 25, 2010

Do I need to use paint over top of primer?

I am painting some old cabinets white. I have done two coats of white alkyd primer and the coverage is almost solid. Do I need to finish it with regular white paint for the finish, or is one more coat of primer all I need to do?Do I need to use paint over top of primer?
You definitely need to paint over the top of the primer. Even if the coverage is solid, primer is meant to help the paint bond to the surface. It does not have the sheen and durability that paint has. If you leave just the primer, it may look good now, but it will hold and trap dirt that you won't be able to wash off.





For cupboard doors, especially, I recommend getting an easy-clean, high-durability wall paint from a home improvement or a paint store like Sherwin-Williams, rather than just any old paint. You'll enjoy your paint job a lot longer.Do I need to use paint over top of primer?
You could probably leave it primer, but I think adding a final coat of paint will make it look more finished and have a bit of a shine too it. Adding that little extra gloss really makes it stand out, as primer usually looks pretty flat. I'm not suggesting you go out and buy the ';high gloss'; paint to make it really shine, I just think it will look a little more refined with a little bit of gloss. I think the regular paint will help protect it better than just primer also.
The Primer has protected the wood so it can't gain or lose any moisture. If you're happy with it the way it is then it's fine to leave it.
primer is a bonding agent for paint to adhere to if you do not paint two coats of proper paint dirt will be the bane of the cabinest.

No comments:

Post a Comment