Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Should I use primer before I paint my living room? Are all brands the same or can I use the cheapest brand?

I am painting my living and dining room which has recently been painted white, I would like to know if there is a need for me to use primer first or just go on and start painting? If I use primer, how many coats of paint should I use? Thank you.Should I use primer before I paint my living room? Are all brands the same or can I use the cheapest brand?
Yes always use primer cheap brand will do just fine. Usually 2 coats of a good paint.Should I use primer before I paint my living room? Are all brands the same or can I use the cheapest brand?
If it's recently been painted white, then you don't really need to use any primer so just go on and get started painting. Unless of course, the white that's on there is oil paint. If it is, and you're planning on painting with oil paint, then just start painting. But if you want to use latex paint, you can't put that on top of oil paint - or it will peel and scratch off easily. If it's oil paint now and you want to paint latex, you'll need to prime with oil-based primer. Primer is a mix of glue and paint. Anything sticks to it and you can paint latex paint on top of oil PRIMER - just not oil paint.





If it's latex paint, you can easily paint with oil paint because oil paint will stick to anything too.





Have fun... enjoy your new space. Oh.. and if you're planning on painting red, you'll be much better off if you primer with a red tinted primer. Red and vivid purple are hard to apply so it's always better to use a tinted primer. This means you won't need to put on lots of coats to get it right.





For normal paint colors, you'll likely only need 2 coats of paint on top of your primer. Apply evenly and use the W or N method: paint an N on the wall and then fill it in before moving on to make another N and filling it in... and so on... this will ensure you don't get streaks in your color.





Ok, that's it. Guess I'm feeling a bit long winded tonite.





Enjoy your new space!

No comments:

Post a Comment